Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Disney

Let me just begin this post with the fact that I love everything Disney and I won't lie my wedding was loosely based on Beauty & the Beast.  I grew up watching all of the Disney movies and my mom would dress me up as a different princess(even Esmeralda) almost every Halloween.  Even as I was older my younger sister followed in my footsteps and again watched almost every Disney movie (mostly Finding Nemo & Lilo and Stitch).  My parents also brought us to Disney World multiple times growing up, and then when I met my now husband, he loved Disney almost as much as I did. 

Watching Disney movies would always take me to a place that would make me happy, and it still does.  In fact, I still watch Disney movies whenever they're on television and my mom and friends will even text me when a Disney movie is on.  I enjoy that it is an easy and relaxing movie for me to watch and brings me back to a time where I didn't have the worries that I do now. 

Examining Frozen, it does have some aspects that challenge the traditional princess movies that are Disney.  One way it does this is by having two strong female leads, Ana and Elsa.  While most Disney movies have a damsel in distress, these two choose their own paths and will fight for what they believe to be right.  Also contradicting to traditional fairytales, Elsa's "knight in shining armour" also turns out to be her sister Elsa in multiple ways by not only saving her life but also advocating for her sister. 
Image result for how disney movies are sexist

Looking at Christensen, I do agree with what she is saying and how she is having her students challenge what is being put in front of them without them even realizing it.  Looking back on the Disney movies I know and (still) love, I can see how it, in fact, does show gender inequality and how it represents different races and so on.  I also appreciate the fact that Christensen is having students open their eyes to the world around them because as Christensen states, it is not only happening in these cartoons it's literally happening everywhere.  The statement that resonated with me most was that she "provided them the opportunity to make a difference," (Christensen 200).  She was able to have students take their learning and anger and put it towards a meaningful practice and implementation to promote learning and change.  Again, while I will still continue to watch and enjoy Disney films, I agree that change needs to happen, not only in these movies but in the world we live in.


8 comments:

  1. These are definitely hard realities to acknowledge that exist in these films. I still plan on showing them to my daughter, but maybe a little conversation is key after watching them. It's good nostalgia and I don't think its wrong to enjoy them, but they are good source material for our students in this social justice discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bianca! I enjoyed reading your post and I lovvvvve your wedding photo! Beauty & the Beast is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how much you love Disney because I'm right there with you! One thing I love about Frozen is the fact that the female leads are two strong women!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Bianca! I loved your thoughts and BEAUTIFUL wedding photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bianca!

    I may be wrong but was your wedding picture taken at the State House? I was just there on a field trip with my 4th grades and I noticed the library right away! Very beautiful picture and nice connection to the assignment.
    -Hayley :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, I still love the movies that I shared with my children! However,it is impossible not to acknowledge clear bias regarding women as well as men, and what is acceptable and expected.

    PS...Your wedding photo is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good evening,

    I think its great to watch movies whether Disney or not with a critical eye and beware of what messages we're inviting into our home or consuming.

    ReplyDelete

Final Narrative

Being the age of twenty-nine years old may not seem like I have a lot of ‘real world’ knowledge or how the world should work. However, I hav...